Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  VW Tech ASE Certified Technician
10437779

replace a bulb in my headlight on my 04 Touareg

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The headlight assembly will need to be removed to access the bulb? Do you have HID lighting? I need to know so I can send you the correct procedure.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not sure what HID lighting is, to be honest? What do the letters stand for and maybe I can figure it out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. Now I knwo what HID is. I THINK that i have pretty regular halogen headlights.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
HID is high intensity discharge. They are the lights that glow a blue tint. I'll send you both procedures in the next post to be on the safe side.
Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: VW Tech ASE Certified Technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanlks. yes, there is a definite blue glow with the lights. Must have been wrong about the halogen assumption
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I accepted but never got my answers. Where might I find those Richard?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Headlights, Removing And Installing

Removing

• Switch off all electrical consumers, switch off ignition and remove ignition key.

NOTE: It is not necessary to disconnect battery Ground (GND) terminal.

• Press lightly against headlight before releasing it.

graphic

• Turn locking bolt -arrow- in direction of OPEN -arrow- (sticker) until resistance is felt (the headlight housing will slide forward while doing this).

CAUTION: Do not continue to turn with force. Damage to release mechanism will result.

• Pull headlight out of opening in fender until resistance is felt.

graphic

• While holding retainer -1- depressed -arrow-, pull headlight out of opening in fender.
  •  

Low Beam Bulb, Replacing

Removing

CAUTION: Do not touch glass portion of bulb with bare hands. Even the smallest amount of moisture and/or contaminants from fingers that evaporates on the bulb during operation can cause the glass to cloud over.

• Remove headlight.

graphic

• Unbolt retainer -1- to side in direction of -arrow- and remove cap -2-.
  •  

graphic

• Disconnect electrical connection -arrow-.
  •  

graphic

• Push spring retainer -arrow- and release.
    • Carefully pull out bulb.

Installing
    Install in reverse order of removal, noting the following:

NOTE: When installing cap, ensure proper seating. Water intrusion will damage headlight.

• Insert new bulb so that locking lugs lie in groove in reflector.
    • Check headlight aim and adjust if necessary.
    • Perform functional check of headlight.
    Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

HID Low Beam Bulb, Replacing

WARNING:

• HIGH VOLTAGE.
    • The physical and mechanical properties of HID bulbs are very sensitive. Internal pressure of HID glass bulb may exceed 100 bar (in operation). Bulb temperature may exceed 700 degree Celsius .
    • The control modules for HID lamps must never be operated (headlights turned on) without an HID lamp.
    • HID bulbs must only be operated (headlights turned on) when installed in the headlight housing.
    • Always wear safety glasses and gloves when removing and installing HID bulb.
    • Never look directly at an operating HID bulb. The UV emissions of an HID bulb are approximately 2.5 times that of a comparable halogen bulb.

Removing

• Remove headlight.

graphic

• Unclip wire retainer -1- in direction of -arrow- and remove cover -2-.
  •  

graphic

• Disconnect electrical connection -1-.
  •  

• Press spring retainer -arrow- and release.
    • Carefully pull HID bulb out of receptacle.

Installing

NOTE: When installing cap, ensure proper seating. Water intrusion will damage the headlight.

• Insert new bulb so that lugs engage in the grooves of reflector.
    • Re-secure spring retainer.
    • Reconnect metal connector.
    • Install headlight.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    This is only for HID or for both?
    Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
    The headlamp instructions are for both. The first set of bulb replacement instructions are for conventional and the second is HID.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Thanks Richard.
    Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Your welcome

Thanks for the accept and for using justanswer.com.