ttiger79
ttiger79, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Advanced level L1 master certified auto technician
2207141

2002 Beetle: battery goes dead..sitting..alternator is charging Ok

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Beetle that the battery goes dead after sitting for a couple of days. Have checked for draw it is only milliamps whenever I check it. Battery has been replaced and alternator is charging Ok. Must have a relay sticking on at times but have not been able to catch it. Any ideas.
Category: VW
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
Hi!
How many milliamps of current are being drawn from the battery when parked?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Has approx 650 milliamps but drops to 50- 55 milliamps after 15 seconds or so
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
Ok,
This amount of current draw may be enough to kill the battery in a few days, depending on the condition of the battery. The current draw should be around 650mA until the modules go to sleep. You will need to check to see what it is that is pulling 55mA of current when everything should be asleep. You can do this by testing the current draw again, and pulling the fuses one at a time from the fuse panel from under the hood. When the current drops to next to nothing, make note of which fuse you pulled. Let me know which one it was, and I will do some investigating for you. You should see about 15mA of current draw for computer and radio memory on this car.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will do some checking but in my experience 50 milliamps will not run a new battery down in 48 hrs. Will check and let you know
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
Sounds good. You may also have an intermittant current draw as well. 50mA is borderline too high. Try pulling fuse number 42. This is a common current draw fuse. See if it drops with this removed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will check it out tommorow and get back to you thanks
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
Sounds good. Let me know what you find!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Have not got back on it will let you know
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 8 years ago.
Sounds good!