David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified

What does p1582 code stand for

Customer Question

what does p1582 code stand for
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.

P1582 Idling Speed Regulation Adaptation Limit Reached

This fault can be caused by several factors, one being a dirty throttle body. Another could be a small vacuum leak. The last could be a loose timing belt. First I would check and make sure the timing belt is not too loose. Very common cause. Then if you are sure that you don't have any broken vacuum lines, and the PCV tube is not torn, then remove and clean the throttle body. Note that clearing the fault will not always keep it from coming back. You will need to disconnect both battery cables, and touch them together, this will cause the ECM to reboot and reset all learned values for idle adaptation. You can then clear the faults. If you fail to clear the learned values the fault will come right back as soon as you start the vehicle. Make sure you have the radio code as you will need to reset the anti theft code on the radio.

David, VW Master Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what should i do first?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where do i find the throttle body in a 98 jetta?
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
The throttle body is what the air intake hose goes into, also you will have a throttle cable going to it. It is on the intake passenger side of the vehilce on top, follow the air hose that comes from the air cleaner, it goes to the throttle body
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I thank you verry much for the information was verry helpful if i come across any more questions be sure that i will come back to you i really apreciate your help.
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX more reminder, make sure the key is off when you are working on the throttle body. Setting faults for the throttle body will cause you more issues later.

If you have any other questions please just post here. Good luck and thank you for using Just Answer.Smile

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what do you mean by Setting faults for the throttle body will cause you more issues later.
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
if you have the key on and unplug the throttle body, it will set faults for it being unplugged, it may cause an issue with throttle adapation, which can not be reset without a VW type scanner. So it is ok to work on it, but make sure you do not have the key on.