David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified

2000 vw jetta: It has a top end noise..tapping sound

I have a 2000 vw jetta vr6 with 122k miles. It has a top end noise. It is a tapping sound. I am a dealer with an in house mechanic who has little experience with vw. For what it is worth someone locally has the opinion that the noise is 2 timing chain tensioner. Does that sound correct or is there something else common in this car?
if you are hearing a rattling noise around 1200 rpms it is probally the intake runner in between chaning from long to short at which time it would be a normal noise. they tend to rattle between 1200 and 1600 rpms. If not please advise for further
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can still hear it ay higher rpms
Try to listen and see if it is coming from the intake, if it is and still rattling at higher RPMs then the intake is warped and the runner and intake would need to be replaced. But if the noise is coming from the back of the engine timing area, then it is possible the a chain tensioner is causing the noise. Normally this engine does not see many problems with the timing chain and do see more issues with the intake as it is plastic and can warp.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
David I am going to go listen to try to see if the noise is coming from the intake or the timing area and I will get back to you shortly.
Ok I will be leaving shortly, but will check the board when I get to the shop
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
David when we unplug the #5 plug the noise almost goes way

If that is the case you may have interal issue, removing the load from a rattle and knock would indicate a loose piston and or bearing.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks David.
Any chance you think it could be a lifter or a cam shaft?
I dont see how a lifter would quiet down when removing the load, I have not seen too many mechanical problems with this motor, other then the intake making noise. Try this, on the left side of the intake near the battery you will find a vacuum valve that moves the runner, try holding the RPMs at 1200 - 1400 were you hear the rattle, then move the runner by hand or apply some presure to see if the noise changes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We tried that and it does not make any difference.
I appricate the extra effort on your part.
Thats cool, sorry I could not be of more help, let me know if there is any thing else you might need later.

Thank you for using Just Answer