Mick Partington
Mick Partington, VW Technician
Experience:  Auto Electrician since 1996, Working on a variety of Vehicles over the years

1992 VW EuroVan: firing order..the 5 cylinder 2.5L engine

What is the correct firing order for the 5 cylinder 2.5L engine in the 1992 VW EuroVan?
Category: VW
Expert:  Mick Partington replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

1 2 4 5 3 , thats what i get

You got number 1 in right place

Mickgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THAT must be my problem! The PICTURE provided with the previous answer was BACKWARDS, and showed the arrow around the distributor going CLOCKWISE, not counterclockwise anyway! How do I know for SURE which location on the distributor to LABEL "number 1?" There are 2 short wires and 3 longer wires leading from around the distributor cap, and I'm looking at it from underneath the van. Where is position #1?

You have to turn the engine so that piston 1 is at the top, then were the rotor arm points, that is lead 1,

Mick

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But how do I KNOW when piston #1 IS at the top? I don't have the HEAD off!
I'm also now beginning to suspect that the damn sabotour removed the distributor CAP, and put it back on BACKWARDS!

Ok, take out number 1 spark plug,

use a spanner and turn the engine, when u feel it getting tight, put a rod into the spark plug hole, and when #1 piston is at the top you will see the rod rise, when it starts going down, STOP, and back up a little,

Now take off distribrutor cap (only fits on one way) and look to see were the rotor arm is pointing, This points to number 1 lead, Refit cap and fit leads to correct firing order

Dont forget to replace #1 spark plug

Then it will start

hope this helps

Mick

Mick Partington, VW Technician
Experience: Auto Electrician since 1996, Working on a variety of Vehicles over the years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You really ARE a great, master mechanic, Mick. I wish I could afford to pay you 5 TIMES that $9.00!
Thank you,
Mick Partington, VW Technician