Abe
Abe, VW Technician
Experience:  6 yrs with volkswagon, skills include electrical, engine performance, engine rebuild, brakes,and A/C
10882593

2002 vw jetta glx: groans) from front suspension..vr6..shock..mounts

I have squeaks (groans) from front suspension on 2002 vw jetta glx vr6. I think it is coming from the upper shock mounts. Can I lube these? If not, can I change the mounts and bearings from the top without removing the whole strut? thanks, Len
Category: VW
Expert:  Abe replied 8 years ago.

hi

you can try lubing them but it usually never helps, and the only way to replace the upper strut mount is by removin the strut and spring assembly.

I reccomend if you replace one to replace both, also it is very dangerous to replace strut mounts without a spring compressor.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Which lube is safe for the rubber components?
Expert:  Abe replied 8 years ago.
lithium grease you can use as liberaly as you want, it is avail in a spray can or in a bottle i reccomend the spray can