Abe, VW Technician
Experience:  6 yrs with volkswagon, skills include electrical, engine performance, engine rebuild, brakes,and A/C

2002 vw jetta glx: groans) from front suspension..vr6..shock..mounts

I have squeaks (groans) from front suspension on 2002 vw jetta glx vr6. I think it is coming from the upper shock mounts. Can I lube these? If not, can I change the mounts and bearings from the top without removing the whole strut? thanks, Len
Category: VW
Expert:  Abe replied 8 years ago.

you can try lubing them but it usually never helps, and the only way to replace the upper strut mount is by removin the strut and spring assembly.

I reccomend if you replace one to replace both, also it is very dangerous to replace strut mounts without a spring compressor.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Which lube is safe for the rubber components?
Expert:  Abe replied 8 years ago.
lithium grease you can use as liberaly as you want, it is avail in a spray can or in a bottle i reccomend the spray can