David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
5856072

HI, 2001 PASSAT 1.8T. IT SURGES AT IDLE, IT SOMETIMES IS ...

Customer Question

HI, 2001 PASSAT 1.8T. IT SURGES AT IDLE, IT SOMETIMES IS VERY SLOW TO START TO RESPOND WHEN ACC. IS PRESSED AT OTHER TIMES IT RESPONDS GREAT WITH GREAT POWER. IT CONTINUES TO GIVE CODE P0012 (CAMSHAFT ACTUATOR A BANK 1 TIMING OVER RETARD) AFTER REPLACING 02 SEN, CAM CHAIN TENIONER, COIL PACKS, CAM ACTUATOR. WHICH DID DO AWAY WITH OTHER CODES, I THEN CARRIED IT TO A LOCAL GERMAN PERFORMANCE SHOP THAT HAS BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER & THEY REMOVED VALVE COVER TO CHECK MY TIMING WORK,THEN CHANGED MASS AIR METER, CLEANED THROTTLE BODY, DID SMOKE TEST FOR VAC LEAKS. THEY CHARGED ME OVER 800.00 DOLLARS & TOLD ME THAT THEY COULD NOT FINE OUT WHY IT WAS STILL GIVING THE SAME CODE WITHOUT SPENDING A LOT MORE MONEY ON IT. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM??? THANKS CREGG
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 8 years ago.
This engine is known for sludgeing. What is happening is you are loosing oil presure to the cam adjuster which is falling over. Cam adjuster is controled via oil presure. I have seen this over and over, I would suggest you have an oil presure test done to verify this issue. The procedure on the oil presure test is with the engine hot and at 2000 rpms. Please advise what you find for further.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to David's Post: HI DAVID, WE FOUND THAT THE NEW CAM CHAIN ADJ. WAS DEFECTIVE. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT. I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME & TRYING TO HELP ME. I GUESS THIS WAS A FREAK THING, IT IS HARD TO THINK THAT A PART THAT COST SO MUCH AND IS AS TIME CONSUMING AS IT IS TO INSTALL WOULD BE DEFECTIVE. JUST MY LUCK I GUESS. THANKS AGAIN, CREGG