Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

2004 jetta: My car has been overheating, the coolant..fans..hose

Customer Question

How do you replace the thermostat in a 2004 jetta and where is it located? My car has been overheating, the coolant has been replace, the fans are working but nothing is going throught the water hose. what do you think the problem can be?
Category: VW
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

Yes, when thermostat opens the hose should be hard to squeeze in.

Here are directions:

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
so do you think it can be anything else? I mean my car is overheating and my engine light is on. I feel like Ive done everyhting I can...
Do you think its a problem with the thermostat oe the pump or hose or something else??
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

The check engine light being on can be significant. You could have a faulty ECT(engine coolant temperature)sensor.

You need to have the computer read for any stored tourble codes. You can have this done at Autozone for FREE. The check engine light being on may be totally unrelated, but you need to find out what the trouble codes are in order to know.

The problem might still be the thermostat, but until you get the codes read, it is just a guess.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
do you know where the engine temperature sensor is located and how to install it?
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.

Here is a diagram and photo of ECT sensor. Simply unplug connector and loosen and remove sensor:

graphic