RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  VW Factory training, ASE Master Technician, Adv. Engine Performance 10 years
1100518

2004 VW Passat Turbo: wagon..fuel filter..any tricks to changing it

Customer Question

I have a 2004 VW Passat Turbo Diesel (TDI) wagon and would like to change the fuel filter. Where is it located and any tricks to changing it?
Category: VW
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer.

Below is the procedure to replace the fuel filter...

Service and Repair
Notes

Fuel Filter, Assembly Overview

NOTE:

• When installing, make sure that the fuel filter is not installed with the water drain plug sitting on the oil filter bracket. This could loosen and begin leaking.
  • Install the fuel filter so that accessibility to the water drain plug is ensured.

graphic

1. Return line
    • To fuel cooler
    • Blue or with blue marking
    • Ensure seated tightly
  1. Supply line
    • From fuel tank
    • White or with white markings
    • Ensure seated tightly
  1. Retaining clip
  2. Regulator valve
    • Installed location: direction of arrow to fuel tank
    • When changing filter, remove retaining clip and take off regulator valve with fuel lines attached.
    • When under + 15 degrees C : flow-through to filter is open
    • When over + 31 degrees C : flow-through to filter is closed
  1. O-ring
    • Replace
  1. Return line
    • Ensure seated tightly
    • Blue or with blue marking
  1. Fuel line
  2. Fuel temperature sensor -G81-
  3. Supply line
    • Ensure seated tightly
    • White or with white markings
  1. Fuel filter
    • Before installing, fill with diesel fuel
    • Direction of flow is marked with arrows
    • Do not interchange connections
    • Replace if damaged
  1. Seal
    • Replace if damaged
  1. Water drain plug
    • To vent, remove retaining clip for regulator valve and take off regulator valve with fuel lines attached
    • Loosen and allow approx. 100 cu.cm of fluid to drain

Fuel Filter Location:

graphic

RIP, Lead Technician
Experience: VW Factory training, ASE Master Technician, Adv. Engine Performance 10 years
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I looked inside the engine compartment and could not find the fuel filter. I removed the plastic cover and could find it nowhere in the engine compartment.
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

What is your engine size? And does your fuel filter look like the one below?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the replacement one does. It is the 4 cylinder turbo diesel engine (TDI).
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

On the 2.0L Diesel engine, that filter IS on the driver's side of the engine compartment...just follow the fuel lines to it, in the picture with the large black arrow...it's in that general area, a little closer to the firewall than that illustration dipicts. If your still having difficulty finding it, may be you can upload a pic of the area, and I can point it out to you?

Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
found it. Thanks
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the ACCEPT :)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got it replaced. Thanks.

For future reference, the numbers in the diagram do not correspond to the instructions. It would be helpful to match the instructions with the diagram. Also, getting fuel into the new fuel filter is a real challenge. If you have any tips for that, that would be great. The instructions also indicate that a new seal ring is to be replaced; it doesn't come with the replacement fuel filter; in the future I know to purchase same, but it would be helpful to point that out. Finally, the fuel filter is held in with a bracket that has an allen wrench screw that is difficult to get to; would be helpful if you had pointed this out in advance.

Thanks. Got it replaced and working well; hopefully the next time will take less time and have less fuel spillage.

Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.
No problem...