David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified

Hi, I have A 2000 V.W Beetle. The transmission was ...

Customer Question

Hi, I have A 2000 V.W Beetle. The transmission was diagnosed as being bad. The claim is that a computer diagnosistic test indicated an internal part (SC62) is malfunctioning. Do you know of a type of test that would indicate that an internal part is malfunctioning? What is name of the part that is malfunctioning (SC62) and what kind of test would indicate this?What is it called and what type of computerized equipment is needed to run the test?
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 8 years ago.

Wow I have been doing this for a very long time and have never heard of SC62. VW transmission if the valve body was a problem the you would see solenoide with a number between N88 through N93. VW markes fuses with S then the C would be that fuse box. But I dont know of any fuses on this vehicle with that term. You would really need to get the printout that the dealer did. If you could get it and provide the fault codes, I can make a better determination as to what is going on. The trans in this vehicle are not the greatest. The early AG4 trans was known to have a problem with the K3 clutch. This clutch was the smallest of all the clutches and if a valve stuck it would burn up the clutch. We also saw issues with two of the speed sensors G38 and G68. The problem is not the sensor but more the harness. There is a tech bulletin to replace the harness with a special kit. I hope this helps, but try to get the printout

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi David, I have removed the existing transmission and installed a used one. The car responds the same. It drives in 3rd gear only (safe mode). The used transmission was identified as a jetta transmission. also installed a remanufactured torque converter. I had to take some of the conection fittings from the old transmission so they would match. Could it be a TCM problem and not even a transmission problem?
Expert:  David replied 8 years ago.

The fault for the old transmission is still stored or locked into the TCM you will need to have the TCM reset, faults cleared and basic settings applied. Once this is done the TCM will come out of limp mode. you will need a VW type scanner, or a repair facility that has a scanner capable of communicating with the TCM. Ross Tech makes a program called VAG-COM that is loaded onto a computer (LapTop) and can do almost everything we can do at the dealer.

The Jetta trans is the same as a Bettle, but if you give me your VIN I can tell you what trans code should be in the vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is their away to open up the old transmission and determine the damaged part? The transmission is not installed on the vehicle.
Expert:  David replied 8 years ago.
The best way to determin what is bad is to do a leak down test on the transmission, however this would require special tools. The next best thing is to scan the TCM for the faults. Now if you paid the dealer for the diag, they should be able to provide you with a copy of the printout.