David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
5856072

How do I change the battery in the 2001 VW new beetle

OEM battery has to be moved left to clear fender. Something is mounted on side of battery case interfering. Unscrewed bolt holding it but can''t move it far enough. What else now?
You will need to remove the bolt (5mm Allen) on the power steering pump resovior, then you will need to remove the plastic cover from the battery, there is one bolt a 10mm holding the cover on the tray. Remove the cover. Remove the cables and you will need to lift and roll the battery out. Lifting on the right side of the battery (Left if your looking at the battery). See picture belowgraphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to David's Post: Thanks. All is clear except the diagram points to a "2" underneath the reservoir but there is no mention of what's there or what it is pointing to. Ignore that?

Also, I can't seem to disconnect the cover at the rear hinges so I can remove it. What's the secret?

Appreciate the prompt reply.
The rear is just snapped into the metal tray, it has the two corners, that just snap into the metal tray. You may just need to pull firmly on the cover to pop it loose
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You didn't respond to my question re the number 2 in the diagram pointing underneath the reservoir.
There is a 10mm bolt that holds the plastic cover in place, that is what number 2 is pointing at. I am sorry, I should have been a little more clear. Please let me know if you need any further.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. I'm all set. It is just as I thouight it would be.