David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified

Alarm..drivers door..this should unlock the passengers door..door lock

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do I turn of the alarm on a 2000 vw beetle using the straight master key that does not have the remote?
Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.

All you have to do is unlock the door with the key. If the alarm continues to go off after you have unlocked the door, then there is a problem with the door lock. Now if you have a trunk key, not a valet key, you can unlock and open trunk, then open the door, do not close trunk before you open the door and start the vehicle. Opening the trunk disarms the alam, but will reset as soon as you close. This is a quick work around the door lock issue should you have that problem.

David, VW Master Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to David's Post: OK the opening of the trunk stops the alarm when it is going off. but if we unlock the door and get in start the car and drive we are OK. When we stop we can open the drivers door without the alarm going off but if we open the passanger door the alarm goes off. What do you think?
Expert:  David replied 6 years ago.
If you set the alarm closing the door and locking from the drivers door, then wait 60 seconds so that the alarm is active. Now try this, turn the key to unlock once, then twice, this should unlock the passengers door. If not then the issue is with the left door lock. There is a contact switch in the door lock that has failed and is causing your issues. This is a known problem with the door locks, and there is no way to by pass it. the reason it does not do anything with the remote is that when the remote is set or unlocked the confort control unit knows that the doors are about to open. You may need to replace the door lock. The other thing that you can do is purchase a remote on ebay, make sure the part number is XXXXX You can code the remote at home if you have two keys, one has to be on the ignition with the key turned to the on position, then both doors closed, you unlock and hold the key outside, as soon as you hear a beep, you can then push a button on the remote to code it to the vehicle.