Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', VW Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.

My rear wheel tire is not turning

Customer Question

My rear wheel tire is not turning. I took the tire off to see what was"locked"can you help me please?
Category: VW
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like the Brake is locked, bad wheel bearing or frozen axle.

You will need to remove the Brake Drum or Brake Caliper (if disc brakes) to inspect

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do i remove this and then how to fix that??
Does it have Rear Disc Brakes or drum type?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Im not sure how do I know?

After removing the Rim & Tire, the Brake should look like one of these:

DRUM:

DISC:
Click image to see an enlarged view

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
drum!

After removing Rim & Tire, you will need to see if the Drum will turn by hand.
Be sure the vehicle is safely raised & blocked.
Transmission in neutral & brake Off.
If you cannot turn the Drum, then you will have to try to back the Brake Lining off inside by:

Remove one wheel bolt, then push adjusting wedge upwards with a suitable screwdriver through wheel bolt hole to back off brake shoes.

• Reinstall wheel bolt and tighten to specifications, then remove grease cap with VW637/2 or equivalent.
  • Remove cotter pin and axle nut, then pull off brake drum.
  • Picture similar:
    graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    once I have the drum off what am I looking for?
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    I cant actually get the drum off. I can see the adjusting wedge but its not moving
    You will need to turn the adjusting wheel inside with a brake tool to back off the Brake Pads, to remove the Drum.
    Once the Drum is off, see if the Axle will turn freely.
    If so, then it was your Brakes
    If not, then check the Axle Bearing
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    what is a break tool do you have a diogram that will show me the parts ie. adjusting wheel where the bolts are to take it off.please

A Brake tool looks like a Bent Flat Blade Screw Driver on both sides, without a handle.

graphic

You insert one end thru the adjusting hole in the back & turn the Brake Adjuster to loosen or tighten the Brake Shoes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    is this my only option? I dont have have one of theses tools. Is there any other way?

You can try a large Flatblade, but usually it won't work because of the angle.
    Most Parts stores sell them for a couple of dollars.

You might also try taping on drum with a hammer, to get as much Brake Dust out & see if the Brakes will loosen to remove drum.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    can I take the gresse cap off and take the drum off this way?
    Yes, but if the Brake Shoes are stuck you will still have the same problem. They will need to be unadjusted, or damage to parts can occur
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    how do I unstick the Break shoes?

As Posted earlier:

If so, then it was your Brakes
    If not, then check the Axle Bearing

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    if so then the brakes are ok?
    After you get the Drum off, you will need to make that asessment.