David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
5856072

Volkswagen: 1.9 tdi..caddy..the engine and will only come

Customer Question

hi i have 2002 1.9 tdi volkswagen caddy van.While driving the power goes from the engine and will only come back when i turn off the ignition and back on.I have changed the air flow meter ,boost pressure sensor waste gate and EGR solinides and all piping.Any advice would be great.Thank you.
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 8 years ago.

More than likely you are having a boost deviation fault You are either getting over or under boost. This is normally caused when the turbo waistgate vanes get plugged or restricted with carbon build up. The only way to properly diag this concern is to be able to scan the vehicle and test boost presure. When the engine control unit see's a boost deviation it will go into limp mode, but once you restart it resets itself.

David DeLeon, VW Master Technician

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi.I cleaned the waste gate veins as you said and the engine run fine for 10 miles or so .But then lost power again.Any other suggestion.        thank you.
Expert:  David replied 8 years ago.

More than likely you are going to have to replace or have the turbo rebuilt. You are getting a boost deviation caused by the waist gate unable to regulate boost. Sorry but that is all that you can do. This is assuming that you checked all the charge air lines and have no leaks anywere.

David DeLeon, VW Master Technician

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The engine is running much better but is still looseing power just not as regular as it was.I replaced all charge air lines and have no leaks thank you for your help
Expert:  David replied 8 years ago.

Sounds good. Please let us know if you need further.

David DeLeon, VW Master Technician