RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  VW Factory training, ASE Master Technician, Adv. Engine Performance 10 years

I have a 2002 VW Passat that wont start. When I turn ...

I have a 2002 VW Passat that won't start. When I turn the key in the ignition, it just keeps clicking and the lights in the car flash. I don't think its the battery (although I know nothing about cars) because the lights, radio, windows, and seats still work. What's wrong with my car and will it be expensive to fix?

Hi, welcome to JA.

• How many miles are on this VW?
  • When was the last time the battery was replaced?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
About 107,000. I don't know when the battery was replaced. I've had the car for two years and never replaced it. I assume it still has the original battery.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX trully do sound like a weak battery...even if all the other power accessories will operate, the engine starter requires the largest amount of amprage. I would remove the battery and have it tested at a local repair facility...or if you have AAA, they usually come to you to test the battery. Also, check the cables on the battery, if they're loose or heavily corroded, the same symptoms will occur.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Great! I hope you're right because that won't cost me an arm and a leg to fix. I was just wondering (and again I know nothing about cars), when I described the problem to a friend of mine, he said it sounds like a problem with the starter. Is that a possibility. And if so, is that usually expensive to fix?

It would be a starter if you told me you heard a clicking noise..but since the lightls REALLY sounds like a battery or loose cables. But let's say it is a starter your looking at about $300 for parts and labor to put one in. I don't normally see bad starters at this milage. BTW, be sure you get the correct battery...most places don't sell this exact size, and they tend to sell something else that MAY fit but usually is a headach to get in there. The battery is under the cowl cover, below the windsheild...there is a smaller access hole with the + and - signs on it.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much!

No problem...Happy Holidays :)