Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Radiator fan would not turn off, not overheating, where is

Customer Question

radiator fan would not turn off
JA: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: not overheating, where is the fuse?
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2003 xc 70
JA: Are you fixing your XC 70 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing as of now. My wife needed the car to run an errand. When she is back I will try
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

You will need a new fan assembly, the control module is the culprit, It has power supplied to it at all times, the control module sticks and then isn't switched by the engine computer which results in the fan running the entire time, you can unplug it and that will make it stop running, the large connector wires directly at the fan control module. An entire fan assembly is what I would recommend. instead of trying to replace just the control module. Here is a link to what you'll need to fix it, I would look at rockauto.com as well. It only takes about an 45 minutes to replace it. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-S-60-S-80-V-70-XC-70-Radiator-A-C-AC-Condenser-Cooling-Fan-Motor-Assembly-/171191139786?fits=Year%3A2003%7CMake%3AVolvo%7CModel%3AXC70&hash=item27dbc97dca:g:-3EAAOxy4dNS6ZgJ&vxp=mtr