VolvoDan
VolvoDan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE L1 and Volvo Certified Master Technician
97507406

Have had multiple check engine codes on a 2002 volvo S80

Customer Question

Have had multiple check engine codes on a 2002 volvo S80 with 123,000 miles: P0420 and P0430. First time both front and rear oxygen sensors were replaced. Second time catalytic converter replaced. Third time they searched and found some kind of missing block plug which was replaced and then were concerned that the vapor box might be plugged up but pressures were checked and were ok. Now engine light back on for fourth time. Have not been able to have codes checked again yet. Ideas or concerns?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

Ok, air intake and vacuum hoses should be checked for any leaks, and exhaust checked for leaks. If not found, catalytic converter unit should be replaced. I suspect the converter has been the issue the whole time. This is the most common cause of these codes.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Eric, your response suggests everything that has already been checked and replaced. We have a new converter, oxygen sensors, and hoses and exhaust have been checked multiple times. My question is what else could it be?
Expert:  VolvoDan replied 3 months ago.

I know I am coming in on this late, but has the ECM been removed for 10 minutes or more so that the adaptive values could be reset?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dont know for sure
Expert:  VolvoDan replied 3 months ago.

I would get the codes checked, it could be on for something other than these items. Were aftermarket parts or Volvo genuine parts used for the repairs?