Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Ignition key will not turn Car in pulled in front first in

Customer Question

ignition key will not turn Car in pulled in front first in open garage. How to get to repair shop. Can it be towed?
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Tried turning steering wheel, did turn. The key is not worn or damaged.
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2006 xc90
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I will have it taken to a shop for repair.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am worried that they will cause damage trying to get it out of the open garage. And I need to know if it can be towed.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

Ok, it can be towed and pulled out of the garage if done correctly. You will need to explain the situation to the tow company and explain that they need to send someone that will disconnect the shift linkage at the top of the transmission and manually shift the lever from park to neutral.

Now, before doing this, try doing the following to get the key to turn - insert the key into the ignition and with a hammer, GENTLY tap around the ignition cylinder as you try to turn the key - for sticking ignition cylinders this works like a charm

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks