sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My gas gauge quit working, no runs great. Just quit working,

Customer Question

my gas gauge quit working
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: no runs great. Just quit working
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: don't see it
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2006 xc 90 v8
JA: Are you fixing your XC 90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet, does the gauge have a fuse
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I can check now to see if you have a fuse for your fuel gauge. Just give me a few minutes and I will have that information for you.

Expert:  Todd M replied 5 months ago.

Okay. You have several fuses associated with the fuel pump. I'm not sure if one in particular is for the gauge. I advise you to test them all to make sure none are blown. I'm providing you a diagram for the vehicle and you will see were each fuel pump fuse is located.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The fuel gauge not working could be an issue in the instrument cluster itself, a wiring or connection problem, or it could be the fuel level sending unit.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to check for fault codes. Have you checked for codes?