VolvoDan
VolvoDan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE L1 and Volvo Certified Master Technician
97507406

2004 xc-90 no high or low beams all other lights and acc.

Customer Question

2004 xc-90 no high or low beams all other lights and acc. work. no power on either side of any lighting fuses side of dash or under hood. not sure where FFM3 60 amp light system fuse or if it is has anything to do with it.local volvo dealer said it might be CEM so sent int to BBA reman and had it checked,said it was ok. any help would be appreciated thanks dennis
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: no power at any time have not had any momentary light or flickering have gone through and checked grounds and connections etc.
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes , my maxi sys scanner just pulls code of right head lamp out. only other code is driver sips code
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time
Category: Volvo
Expert:  jim replied 5 months ago.

Check fuse #38 in driver side fuse panel, its a 15 amp fuse.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
have power both sides
Expert:  jim replied 5 months ago.

Does this have the Bi-xenon lights?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
outer bulb xenon inner standard head lamp bulb
Expert:  jim replied 5 months ago.

If fuse 38 is ok check the following.

Access the Central Electronic Module (CEM) located under the driver side of the dash. Remove shunt 20/27 (CSH4) and inspect terminals for burning and ensure they are making a good connection to the base.

Swap relay 2/62 with another similar relay. If the headlights now work properly, replace the relay.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok pulling cem now what is location of relay 2/62 on board?
Expert:  jim replied 5 months ago.

Standby I will send you the pictures.

Expert:  jim replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my board only has three shunts,all look good.the only relay i have on side where 2/62 is supposed to be and is in position cm 16. YV1CZ91H941061031 is VIN number
Expert:  jim replied 5 months ago.

Ok, I am going to reopen your question and let some of the there tech's chime in, someone will be with you shortly, don't reply or it will lock me into the question and the other tech's won't be able to respond. Thank you for using just answeres.

Expert:  VolvoDan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a Volvo Master Technician. Have you had the vehicle scanned for codes using the Volvo VIDA interface? The high and low beams on the vehicle use the same bulb which has a ballast that fires it up. When you activate the high beams, there are motors in the lamp which changes the position of the bulb and angles them up. It sounds like you may possibly have a bad light switch module or headlamp control module. These systems are somewhat complicated with the Bi Xenon lamps and the voltage is very high so it makes it difficult to diagnose. Sometimes the best way to diagnose these systems is by substituting known good headlamps to verify it is not an issue with the small control module on the bottom of the lamp. Any trouble codes you have may be useful in determining the exact issue, thanks!