Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

2003 xc70. Once last week it failed to turn over, no

Customer Question

2003 xc70. Once last week it failed to turn over, no solenoid clicking, good battery, dash status lights, interior lights, and headlights bright. Didn't respond to a jump start. The next day, I put it in neutral and it started right up. Worked fine for a week, and today, won't start same as before.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Didn't check fuses. Can starter fuses be intermittent like that?
JA: Are you fixing your XC70 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried any actual repair as until now there has been no need. Even if it decides to start tomorrow, I'd like to find the actual problem myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

You did not get a "START PREVENTED" or a "IMMOBILISER SEE MANAUL" message in the instrument cluster information window when this occurred by chance did you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't remember seeing those messages when I was with the car. It's my sister's car and the one first time the problem occurred, it started right up when I put it in neutral. I wasn't there when it happened today, so I don't know if the messages appeared. I sent her a text to see if remembers seeing a message. I'll forward her response when she gets back to me.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, sounds good. let me know. thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There were no messages. However, just as it panned out the last time, the car started without a problem today after sitting overnight. I'm thinking most likely starter relay, and less likely ignition key switch?
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Check the small signal wire for the starter drivers side of engine in the front, (kind of under the intake manifold on the drivers side) and see if that connection is corroded any, it sometimes corrodes since it is exposed to the elements and is just a push on connection.

Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Also, it could be the starter relay, but I don't see too many of them fail, a few times. so it is possible, the starter relay is under the hood in the fuse box and is in the FMA4 position as in this diagram. I believe what you have there likely is either corrosion on the starter terminal connection from the small signal wire, or the starter motor itself is hanging up at times. it would be nice if it could be in it's non cranking state while you checked for power to this small wire with a test light. if the small wire has power on it, (which I believe it would with no immobiliser messages) Then definitely replace the starter motor. Check this diagram out, You should be able to at least swap a relay out with the one that is currently in the starter position at FMA4 and see if it fixes it, just mark with a colored pencil or scribe the top of the relay currently in FMA4 position, so if you swap it with another one, you'll know which position the relay went in. Let me know if you have any further questions. But I believe it will either be the small signal wire connection is corroded, or it will need a new starter motor. Thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thought I would follow up with you, we're you able to trace the circuit and figure out the starting issue?