Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle
45790705

2007 Volvo S40 had and oil sweat that has now turned into a

2007 Volvo S40 had and oil sweat that has now turned into a leak. I have followed it and its coming from the timing belt cover area. What is the most likely cause of this leak so I can order the correct parts and gasket.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

If he oil is behind the timing cover it will most likely the camshaft oil seal .

click on link below if you like to buy them,these are listed on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-99-12-Camshaft-Seal-OEM-Front-Exhaust-Intake-W-Variable-Timing-Cam-Ring-/361551003521?fits=Year%3A2007%7CMake%3AVolvo%7CModel%3AS40&hash=item542e1e7f81:g:oO4AAOSwRH5XLG9L&vxp=mtr

2- this not an easy job & timing procedure for removal & installation has to be observed to prevent engine damage

2007 Volvo S40 L5-2.4L

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace One

B 4.9

Replace Both

B 5.2

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

3- there will be 2 cam shaft seals on your car , but when you do this job you also replace the front crank seal as well whil;e you there or at least inspect for leaks

Please let me know if that works for you you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Chadthanks for the prompt response. I am a licensed mechanic and have done dozens of timing belts, just not on this car. Would I need any specialty tools? Anything that may be abnormal on this vehicle?
Also
Replace OneB 4.9Replace BothB 5.2Meaning both cam seals are 5.2 hours Labour correct.

hey sorry we got cut off

i was just able to open post back up

yes special tools needed i will send you procedure

2007 Volvo S40 L5-2.4L VIN 38 B5244S4

Save Article

VVT unit Special tools:(###) ###-####COUNTERHOLD See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Counterhold(###) ###-####CAMSHAFT ADJUSTMENT TOOL See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Camshaft Adjustment Tool(###) ###-####Extractor See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Extractor(###) ###-####Drift See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Drift(###) ###-####Drift See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Drift(###) ###-####Wrench See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Wrench(###) ###-####Lifting beam See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Lifting Beam(###) ###-####HOOK See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Hook Note! The illustrations in this service information are used for different model years and/or models. Some variation may occur. However, the essential information in the illustrations is always correct. Preparatory work Removing components Note! Crankshaft and camshafts must not be turned more than is stated in the method description. If the shafts are turned in any other way the valves may be damaged. Disconnect the battery negative lead. See: See: Battery > Procedures > Battery Disconnecting. Remove the air cleaner (ACL) module. See: Air filter module See: Air Cleaner Housing > Removal and Replacement > Air Filter Module. Removal Removing upper intake manifold

Zoom and Print Options

Caution! Seal the openings in the lower part of the intake manifold. Use tape or similar.

Remove:
- the 6 screws for the upper intake manifold, closest to the front cover plate, and the 2 screws against the firewall
- the EVAP canister hose on the intake manifold
- the brake vacuum pipe. Press in the red catch. Pull out the pipe. Disconnect the throttle body (TB) connector and the pressure sensor on the intake manifold. Cut the tie strap. Lift up the intake manifold and put it to one side.

Removing components from the rear edge of the engine

Zoom and Print Options

Remove:
- the 2 screws for the lifting eyelet at the rear edge of the cylinder head
- the screw for the clamp for the fuel pressure pipe in the lifting eyelet. Unhook the evaporative emission system (EVAP) valve from the lifting eye. Disconnect the connector for the heated oxygen sensors (HO2S). Move the lifting eyelet to one side.

Removing the rotor on the camshaft

Note! Clear up any oil spillage using paper.

Remove:
- the covers in the rear edge of the camshaft. Using a screwdriver, press in the center of the cover. Pry off the cover
- the rotor screw
- the rotor.

Mounting the engine

Zoom and Print Options

Install lifting beam:(###) ###-####Lifting beam See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Lifting Beam together with hook:(###) ###-####HOOK See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Hook. Tension the tool. Lift the expansion tank and place on the engine.

Note! Ensure that no coolant escapes.

Marking the position of the engine pad

Zoom and Print Options

Mark the position of the engine pad on the frame member. Use a marker pen.

Removing components

Zoom and Print Options

Remove:
- the screws (1) for the limiter from the engine mounting in the right-hand frame member
- the limiter
- the screws (2) for the engine mounting in the cylinder head
- the engine mounting.

Removing the belt covers

Remove:
- the screw for the front belt cover
- the front belt covers.

Removing wheels
Raise the vehicle.

Remove:
- the right front wheel
- the right-hand fender liner. Slacken off the 6 screws. Fold back the fender liner
- the outer auxiliaries belt by turning the tensioner clockwise. Use:(###) ###-####Wrench See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Wrench.
Lower the vehicle so that the timing belt pulley is visible and the lifting beam accessible.

Removing the power steering pump pressure line

Zoom and Print Options

Caution! Seal the openings.

Note! Clear up any oil spillage under the delivery line.

Disconnect the delivery line from the power steering pump.

Removing the vibration damper

Zoom and Print Options

Remove the 4 x screws. Use the crankshaft center nut as a counterhold. Install a counterhold. Use(###) ###-####COUNTERHOLD See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Counterhold. Remove the center nut. Remove the counterhold(###) ###-####COUNTERHOLD See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Counterhold. Work the vibration damper loose.

Setting up the engine

Zoom and Print Options

Turn the crankshaft clockwise until the markings on the crankshaft and the camshaft pulley correspond. The markings are illustrated.
Remove the upper timing belt cover. Lower the engine using the lifting beam until the screw for the timing belt tensioner can be accessed from beneath.

Removing the timing belt

Zoom and Print Options

Slacken off the belt tensioner. Slacken off the center screw for the belt tensioner slightly. Hold the center screw still. Turn the tensioner eccentric clockwise to 10 o'clock. Use a 6 mm Allen key. Remove the timing belt from the camshaft pulleys.

Installing the camshaft adjustment tool

Zoom and Print Options

Use:(###) ###-####CAMSHAFT ADJUSTMENT TOOL See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Camshaft Adjustment Tool.

Install:
- the part of the tool intended for the exhaust camshaft (drilled hole)
- the adjustment tool belonging to the intake side camshaft (threaded hole). Screw the adjustment tool sections together into one unit.

Removing the timing belt pulley / variable valve timing unit

Zoom and Print Options

Remove:
- the plug at the front edge of the variable valve timing unit
Note! Use paper to collect any spilled oil under the variable valve timing units.

the center screw in the variable valve timing unit. Carefully pull out the timing gear pulley with the VVT unit
- the screws for the timing belt pulley
- the timing belt pulley.

Removing the front camshaft seal

Zoom and Print Options

Carefully press in tool(###) ###-####Extractor See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Extractor between the sealing ring and the camshaft. Carefully pry out the seal. Discard the seal.

Installation

Note! For tightening torques, see Specifications. See: Engine > Mechanical > Tightening Torque

Note! The purpose of the section entitled " Installing the variable valve timing unit/timing gear pulley" is to reset the camshaft timing gear pulley to the correct position using the markings made at the factory. This is to ensure that the conditions are correct for any later fault-tracing.

Cleaning

Note! When cleaning work around the shaft journal, not in and out. It is essential that any residue from the emery cloth and any other contaminants are completely removed before the new sealing ring is installed

To clean the shaft journal and mating surface, use emery cloth P/N(###) ###-####

Installing the front camshaft seal

Zoom and Print Options

Lubricate the surface of the seal that the camshaft rotates against. Install the camshaft seal.

For camshafts with variable valve timing:
Use:(###) ###-####Drift See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Drift. Use the mounting screw for the variable valve timing unit. Tighten until the drift bottoms out.

For camshafts without variable valve timing:
Use:(###) ###-####Drift See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Drift. Use the screws for the timing belt wheels to pull in the drift until it bottoms out.

Removing the starter motor

Zoom and Print Options

Lift the coolant hose out of the holder/bracket.

Remove:
- the nuts for the coolant hose bracket. Bend the bracket to one side to access the screws for the starter motor
- the flat pin contact and the positive cable from the starter motor
- the screws holding the starter motor against the transmission. Lift out the starter motor.

Installing the crankshaft adjustment tool

Zoom and Print Options

Caution! Ensure that the tool bottoms out against the cylinder block.

Remove the blind cover plug from the hole for the adjustment tool. Turn the crankshaft clockwise slightly. Use:(###) ###-####ADJUSTMENT TOOL See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Adjustment Tool.

Aligning the crankshaft
Turn the crankshaft counter-clockwiseuntil it stops against the adjustment tool. Check that the marking on the crankshaft timing gear pulley corresponds to the marking on the oil pump.

Installing the variable valve timing (VVT) unit on the intake camshaft

Zoom and Print Options

Press the timing gear pulley and variable valve timing (VVT) unit on to the camshaft. Set the variable valve time (VVT) unit according to the marking.

Install:
- the center screw that secures the VVT unit to the camshaft. Do not tighten the screw
- the upper timing belt cover.

Installing the timing gear pulley on the exhaust camshaft

Zoom and Print Options

Install:
- the timing gear pulley on the exhaust camshaft according to the marking
- the 3 screws. Do not tighten. Set the camshaft pulley according to the marking on the upper timing belt cover. Remove the upper timing belt cover.

Installing the timing belt

Zoom and Print Options

Caution! Ensure that the camshaft pulley is still positioned according to the marking on the upper timing belt cover. If not, repeat the exercise until the markings correspond.

Tighten the center screw in the timing belt tensioner. Tighten to 5 Nm in the 9 o'clock position.

Install the belt in the following order:
- crankshaft
- the idler pulley
- intake camshaft pulley
- exhaust camshaft pulley
- water pump
- tension pulley.

Adjusting the timing belt

Zoom and Print Options

This adjustment is to be made with a cold engine. A suitable temperature is approximately 20°C/68°F. At higher temperatures (with the engine at operating temperature or a high outside temperature for example) the indicator is further to the right. The illustration shows the position of the indicator when aligning the timing belt tensioner at different temperatures.
Hold the center screw secure and turn the belt tensioner eccentric clockwise until the tensioner indicator passes the marked position and reaches the limit position. Tighten.
Tighten the center screw holding the variable valve timing unit. Tighten. See: Tightening torque See: Engine > Mechanical > Tightening Torque.
Tighten the screws for the exhaust timing belt pulley. Ensure that the screws are not in a limit position. Tighten. See: Tightening torque See: Engine > Mechanical > Tightening Torque.
Install the plug for the VVT unit. Tighten. See: Tightening torque See: Engine > Mechanical > Tightening Torque

Adjusting belt tension

Zoom and Print Options

Slacken off the screw for the timing belt tensioner. Then turn the eccentric back so that the indicator reaches the marked position in the center of the window. Remember to hold the center screw secure at the same time. Hold the eccentric in place and tighten the center screw.
Tighten. See: Tightening torque See: Engine > Mechanical > Tightening Torque. Check that the indicator is in the correct position.

Removing the adjustment tools

Zoom and Print Options

Remove:
- the camshaft adjustment tools(###) ###-####CAMSHAFT ADJUSTMENT TOOL See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Camshaft Adjustment Tool from the rear edge of the camshafts
- the crankshaft stop(###) ###-####ADJUSTMENT TOOL See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Adjustment Tool. Install the plug with a new sealing washer. Tighten. See: Tightening torque See: Engine > Mechanical > Tightening Torque.

Checking the markings and belt tension

Zoom and Print Options

Press the belt to check that the indicator on the belt tensioner moves easily. Position the upper timing cover. Turn the crankshaft 2 rotations and check that the markings on the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys correspond.
Check that the indicator on the belt tensioner is within the marked position. Adjust if necessary. Remove the upper timing cover.

Installing components

Zoom and Print Options

Install:
- the vibration damper. Tighten. See: Tightening torque See: Engine > Mechanical > Tightening Torque. Use counterhold(###) ###-####COUNTERHOLD See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Counterhold. Remove the counterhold and install new screws. Tighten. See: Tightening torque See: Engine > Mechanical > Tightening Torque.
- the auxiliaries belt. Turn the belt tensioner up clockwise and install the belt. Use:(###) ###-####Wrench See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Wrench.

Installing components

Install:
- the front belt covers. Tighten the screw
- the upper belt cover
- the pressure line for the power steering pump. Remove the seals
- the fender liner on right-hand side
- the right front wheel. See: Wheels See: Wheels > Removal and Replacement.

Installing the engine pad

Zoom and Print Options

Install the engine pad according to the markings.

Installing engine mounting

Zoom and Print Options

Install:
- the engine mounting on the cylinder head
- the limiter. Tighten screws 1 and 2. Tighten. See: Tightening torque See: Engine > Mechanical > Tightening Torque. Remove lifting beam:(###) ###-####Lifting beam See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Lifting Beam and hook(###) ###-####HOOK See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Hook.
- the expansion tank.

Installing components in the rear edge of the engine

Zoom and Print Options

Install:
- the lifting lug
- the 2 screws for the lifting eyelet at the rear edge of the cylinder head. Tighten
- the screw for the clamp for the fuel pressure pipe in the lifting eyelet. Tighten. Hook the evaporative emission system (EVAP) valve onto the lifting eyelet. Connect the connector to the heated oxygen sensors (HO2S).

Installing upper intake manifold

Zoom and Print Options

Install:
- new gaskets for the upper section of the intake manifold
Caution! Ensure that the guides for the lower section are in the correct position.

the upper intake manifold. Tighten the screws alternately. Tighten. See: Tightening torque See: Engine > Mechanical > Tightening Torque.
- the brake vacuum pipe
- EVAP canister hose
Connect the connector for the throttle body (TB) connector and the connector for the pressure sensor on the intake manifold. Install a new tie strap.

Installing the starter motor

Zoom and Print Options

Install:
- the starter motor
- the screws for the starter motor. Tighten. See: Tightening torque See: Engine > Mechanical > Tightening Torque
- the battery positive cable to the starter motor. Tighten the nut
- the protective cover over the positive terminal on the starter motor
- the flat pin contact to the starter motor solenoid
- the bracket for the coolant hose. Tighten the nuts. Insert the coolant hose in the bracket.

Finishing

Installing the air cleaner (ACL) module

Install:
- the air cleaner (ACL) module. See: Air filter module See: Air Cleaner Housing > Removal and Replacement > Air Filter Module.
- the battery ground lead.

Final checks
Start the engine. Check for leakage. Check the engine function.

Hey how are you ,nice meeting you man , you can do it , it is like most just make sure you have the tools before you start ,available online like eBay .

yes you will need a special tool to hold the cam gear in place :the camshaft adjustment tools(###) ###-####CAMSHAFT ADJUSTMENT TOOL

Remove the blind cover plug from the hole for the adjustment tool. Turn the crankshaft clockwise slightly. Use:(###) ###-####ADJUSTMENT TOOL

Please read below How easy you can get back in touch with me

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Thank You
Chad Farhat