Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle
45790705

In my 2010 Volvo XC70 AWD is not engaging and there are no

Customer Question

In my 2010 Volvo XC70 AWD is not engaging and there are no warnings about it.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 28 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- had you had prior transmission slippage problem ,

2- has the transmission fluid been serviced ?

3- is battery checked for 12 volts .

4- so you are saying when you shift to drive ,there is no engagement ,if you rev it up does rpm go up & u still standing still ?

5- any oil leaks under it prior to this

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No.2- has the transmission fluid been serviced ?
No
3- is battery checked for 12 volts .
yes4- so you are saying when you shift to drive ,there is no engagement ,if you rev it up does rpm go up & u still standing still ?
In drive car operates normally except on slippery conditions the front tires appear to spin too readily. On my slippery snow covered driveway the car got stuck with good snow tires.5- any oil leaks under it prior to this
it uses engine oil - there's a Tech Service Bulletin for this (not sure which one) - major repair to engine but i am sure its not related to AWD. Only other thing about the car to note is that the snow tires are mounted on non factory rims without tpms sensors.

well this could be an issue , with snow tires and non tpms sensors , but was that issue happening prior, did you just mount these ?

be nice ti have a Volvo scanner and retrieve any fault codes from the pending or history file Even if the light is not on now you can still retreived .

If this is the first time it happened ,lets try to reset all modules maybe it is a glitch .

if you have not already

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ill do this.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It could be a few hours.

That is no problem ,we start here & go from there ,this post will stay open for you

Read Below how easy to get back in touch with me

Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
resetting the computer did not work.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 25 days ago.

hey how are you

also make sure we charging 14 volts with all loads on ,if good

at this time we a Volvo scan is needed to be accurate to what is going on .

even if there is no warning lights they still can read pending or history fault codes ,if you get them ,post them back here to me i can you further

I m aware of the engine issue ,you are correct but they are not related in this case

sorry I wish we can do more at this time with out a scan

Please let me know if you need anything else

Thank You

Chad Farhat