jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified A6, A8,L1 and California Licensed Smog Technician
25319281

I have a 2006 Volvo s40. On cold mornings the left front

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Volvo s40. On cold mornings the left front door switch does not work. All other doors open ok with remote. After the car warms up the left front power lock will work.
JA: Is it your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Its happened a few times before only on cold days, 20 to 30 degree F or less.
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried anything. I want to find out if i'st a simple fix without taking it to the dealer and getting a big bill. There are several conflicting threads on the internet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  jim replied 1 month ago.

This is a common problem and Volvo suggest the follow procedure. Not an expensive fix.

Once the lock is defrosted and is moving freely again, slightly lift the claw to open a passage towards the pawl bearing area. Use lubricant (PN(###) ###-#### with a nozzle pipe attached. Insert the nozzle pipe into the passage and aim upward towards the pawl bearing area. Spray for a few seconds.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please provide diagram or picture to locate pawl bearing for nozzle insertion.
Expert:  jim replied 1 month ago.

The only factory picture i have , has a copy right and will not allow me to copy or send it unfortunately. But if you open the door and look at the latch area you will see two screws at the top and one at the bottom. Insert the nozzle in a upward direction between the two screws and that is the area to spray.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I need to use the Volvo spray or is there a parts store subsitiute? Thanks
Expert:  jim replied 1 month ago.

Since this is a common issue, and volvo has suggested the spray to correct the problem, i would only use what they are suggesting.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Expert:  jim replied 1 month ago.

Happy Holidays, and thank you for using just answers