Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I've got 2007 S80 with 158,000 miles on it. I recently

I've got 2007 S80 with 158,000 miles on it. I recently started getting a scraping/grinding noise that I notice when I put the car in reverse and sometimes when coasting to stop. It doesn't do it when I'm accelerating. Any ideas? The sound comes from the right front end. The reverse noise happens even when stopped
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: 3-4 days. It sounds like it's from in front of the glove box.
JA: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't done anything so far. It just started a few days ago.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The problem seems to be worse when the engine is cold. I don't notice it as much after I've been driving for a while.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Since it occurs in reverse when stopped, that rules out things which are spinning. I suggest checking the motor mounts and the exhaust heat shields to see if they are the source for your noise. You may need to get the vehicle on a rack to listen from underneath.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Moose- thanks for your reply. I should clarify a little more. The noise starts when I put the car in reverse. It happens both when moving and before/after I'm moving. When in drive it is much more variable. It doesn't always happen when in drive and may come and go when driving. Never at rest but sometimes when rolling. If it does it when rolling it seems to be when coasting. If I hit the accelerator it immediately stops or greatly reduces.The best way I can describe the sound is a scraping/grinding noise. I'm not sure if it's a rotation sound but it kind of sounds like it to me.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I've been testing some things out today and have new observations/thoughts for you to consider.Check engine light came in today.
The engine has been running a little rough of late.
The noise sounds more like a bass sound (low rumble?) than the scraping/grinding I previously described.
Sound starts as soon as I put in reverse and continues with backing up. If I put the car in reverse with foot on brake and rev the engine it's still there but decreases. If I do that and leave my foot on the brake but put it onto park the noise continues until I take my foot off the brake.
I noticed that the noise kind of cut out somewhat when backing vet the curb when pulling out of my driveway.
I've had a couple of incidents lately when accelerating the hat the engine seemed to lose power momentarily only to be followed by normal increase in RPM and power.I'm not a mechanic but I'm starting to think there's a vacuum leak of some sort somewhere.I hope this info is helpful and appreciate your assistance.

Yes this info does help. The check engine light now on may be a code related to a source on the engine for this noise. Anyway you can get it scanned to see which codes are stored?

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 3 hours ago.
Actually, I was pleased. The noise was a broken motor mount. Check engine light was due to some kind of fuel pressure issue and here was also a leaking brake vacuum pump.

Thanks