sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 2002 v70 cross country. Acts like it's in winter mode. I

Customer Question

My 2002 v70 cross country. Acts like it's in winter mode. I turn switch off and back on then it takes off good until I slow down then it's back in winter mode. I have to turn the switch off again and back on and trying it again. Also from second to third it seems like they are trying to shift together it slams really hard.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: I guess as old as the car. I just got the car. It looks like small leaks. I checked the fluid it looks good
JA: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yeah but I don't really know where to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: when I press the w button if the light doesn't come on then go off. It won't take off like it should
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I suspect what you're experiencing is the transmission going into limp in. If the trans controller sees an issue that will prevent proper operation it can lock you in a single higher gear which will make it sluggish on takeoff. The harsh shift is most likely related.

There are dozens of possible causes for limp in and it will take some testing to determine what is going on. The first step in diagnosing the issue will bbe to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM and then testing can be one from there.