sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2009 Volvo S80: car won't start when start button pushed,

Customer Question

2009 Volvo S80: car won't start when start button pushed, key won't release, brake pedal won't depress
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Ok, will do
JA: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not fixing, it's dead about 1/2 mile from my home. Tried to get key to release, but no luck
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just if he any ideas what I might try before having car towed to mechanic
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The brake pedal will be hard to press with the engine off due to a lack of vacuum in the brake booster. If it's a keyless starting system that requires the brake to be pressed then it may just be a matter of pressing the pedal hard enough.

Did the engine die while driving or did it just not restart after coming back to the vehicle?