Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

2011 xc90 driving for 3 hrs at highway speeds of 70 mph lost

Customer Question

2011 xc90 driving for 3 hrs at highway speeds of 70 mph lost power, in heavy traffic, could not excelerate, engine stayed on. Got to road side, turned car off then restarted and drove rest of trip fine. What happened and how to be sure it won't repeat. Thank you
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Consistent but only happened this one time. Better to describe by saying lost speed with no increase in power when pressing foot to excellerator. Cruise control was on at the time of incident
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Use the dealer. Car just out of 50K extended warranty
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that would be all and thank you
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 22 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Since it was able to be restarted and the issue did not continue this sounds like an electrical component that possibly heated up and lost signal or sent an incorrect signal causing this.With no power or acceleration with this issue here this can be a fault with a component like the throttle position sensor sending an incorrect signal.I have seen this fail before needing replaced.If it acts up again I would have a compatible scan tool plugged into your model to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to help locate and correct this issue here.Most shops or a dealer can read out the codes for you as well as diagnose the fault if a code is set.If no codes are set then the shop or dealer may need to drive the vehicle to then duplicate the fault to fully diagnose and repair it from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete