Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 2006 xc 90 t6.. i found that there is an oil leak

Customer Question

hello.. i have a 2006 xc 90 t6.. i found that there is an oil leak from front left drive shaft.. its dripping onto my wheel..
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: dont remember
JA: Are you fixing your XC 90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nope.. have given it to the dealers.. they said i have to change the drive shaft!! i found it a bit strange
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope.. kinidly connect me
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello

Sadly your mechanic is correct as the driveshaft is hollow and meant to be sealed with a metal disc plug at the gearbox end

this disc can break away and then allow ATF to run down the inside of the shaft which washes out the heavy grease used to protect the joint

the 1st image shows the new shaft with the plug in place

and teh 2nd shows a shaft joint with the displaced plug

so the only solution is to repalce the shaft with new as its very likely the joints are also damaged as teh ATF doens't provide enough protection

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you