Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

This question is for an experienced Volvo technician please.

Customer Question

This question is for an experienced Volvo technician please. I have a 2005 S60 AWD 2.5T with 112,000 miles. The car sits quite a bit because my daughter has been away at college. Wife had to use it the other day. Car was running fine but suddenly lost power. She drove right home. DBL2 had Code 0300 which I believe is random multiple cylinder misfiring. It also showed 0302 and 0304. As I understand it, this only designates the cylinder where a misfire was detected. The pending codes showed virtually all of the cylinders so I assumed it would make sense to start with a basic tune up where I replaced the plugs and fuel filter. Did not help. Saw no cracks on ignition coils but seemed pretty unlikely that it would be that since it was affecting all the cylinders. Checked fuel pressure and it was around 60psi and relatively stable when throttling up and down. I cleaned the MAF sensor. I could find no vacuum leaks and I hear no vacuum leaks. I am wondering if the cam position sensor would be capable of doing this. It idles and drives but really feels like it is missing and has a drastic loss of power from where it should be. So I guess at this point, I want to know which sensor you would go to first. I can look up the procedure for testing the sensors or whatever you point me to unless you are willing to provide the specific or even general steps. I have pretty good tools but no oscilloscope and I haven't purchased a Dice scan interface yet. My VIDA app is not running at present so I'm kind of stuck. Could a random misfire and lousy running engine be cam sensor? MAP sensor? MAF sensor? I got no codes for any of these sensors but I know that does not rule out a defective sensor in some cases. Please also note that the timing belt is overdue but I assume not horribly so. I had the top of the timing belt cover off and the belt has no cracks where I can see it. It seems very tight as it should be. I don't think it jumped but I just want you to have the facts. If you can tell me where to start and what you would check in order, I will be pretty happy. I can pay by the question or I can offer you $50 if you agree to reconsider what I find as I go through the steps you suggest. Hope this makes sense. I did not do a compression test yet. I will need to buy a tester if you say I need to do that next. Please help. Also, the vacuum assist pump was recently replaced by me and a new vacuum hose assembly (the one that connects to the pump and branches out) was also replaced. The brakes were working fine. I think the pump is working as it should.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Would it be easier if we spoke by phone??
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 21 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
  • The first steps I would do are to monitor the CMP and CKP sensors for erratic signal.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 18 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris