sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Issue: A/c will blow cold then begin blowing warm

Customer Question

Issue: A/c will blow cold then begin blowing warm unconditioned air on trips. A/c will do this cycle continually. On longer trips, the frequency between cold air and warm/unconditioned air will grow larger up to the point of not cold air circulating at all.
Took to independent Volvo repair. Suggestion: replace a/c compressor.
A/c compressor changed but car still behaves as before will this cycling.
Vehicle: 2010 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 23 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I am ready. Seems to be an electrical issue more so than a mechanical one.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 22 days ago.

When this occurs, does it occur long enough and in park to diagnose this while the AC is commanded on and not working?

Did any one scan it to see if there were codes stored?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I am not sure if there were any codes stored. I don't have the equip to do so but a quick trip to autozone shows no codes.
I haven't stopped to diagnose while the "malfunctioning" was happening. I was driving today trying to catch it not cooling so I could pop the hood to see if any of the fans aren't kicking in or if the clutch isn't engaging but haven't been able catch it yet.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Here is what was written on the indy shops diagnostic notes"Connect to diagnostic equipment, identify freon type, evacuate and weigh freon. Pump down system and monitor vacuum decay speed, recharge system with correct weight of freon and check operating pressures. Perform leak detection test with electronic leak detector and ultra violet light. No leaks found, compressor operating at 88.59% duty cycle. Spec is 30 -40%. "

Sorry but I do not have enough info from the car to go by. There are way to many" it could be's" It is going to take a scan tool tor retrieve codes or monitor it while not working. I can offer the diagrams to show how this system works but beyond that with the current info i can not pinpoint this. I could also opt out if you want.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Let's opt out. Perhaps someone else out there has come across this same problem before.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 21 days ago.

opting out now

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could be causing the a/c to stop working and it's going to take some testing at the time the problem is happening to determine what is going on. Monitoring data while the problem is present will most likely be necessary to begin.

Does the outside temperature still show correct at the time the a/c doesn't work?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
outside temp reads correctly. Here is what I've found over the last few days. I purchased a code scanner for Volvo's online. Here is the code it's throwing:
"CCM-B105A71 cabin temp sensor fan. Mechanical failures. Actuator stuck."
I cleared the code just now and will check to see if it comes back or if the problem presents itself again.

Does the problem only happen when using an automatic temperature setting?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No, I never use the auto mode.

If the problem were happening when set to automatic then it would definitely be related to the temperature sensor code setting but if it's happening on manual then it may not be related, however if that is the only code setting that's going to be the necessary starting point. This code is for the cabin temperature sensor either being blocked or it's aspirator fan not working to pull air through it, and is almost surely a failure of the sensor.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Do you know the location of this sensor? Is it behind the 3 small vents on the consol?

It's on the bottom right of the center stack bezel where the three small slots are.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How exactly do I gain access to said sensor?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 17 days ago.

The center stack bezel has to be removed, the sensor is screwed to the back of it.