Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

87 volvo 240 dl wagon not starting, has no spark, the main

Customer Question

87 volvo 240 dl wagon not starting, has no spark, the main fuel relay was replaced but failed to energize fuel pumps. I used the old one and jump the circuit, but found out still no spark.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: no I am researching the wiring circuit for the coil, distributor, ballast resistor, and any other relay in the circuit. The client stated he bought the car and was driving it and he stopped at a light and it would not turn over. Someone went into the engine and assumed it was timing, however 9 months later when I was called, I am on a chase for damaged fuses, relays, and very bad wires that needed to be rebuilt. Mieage, over 180k
JA: Are you fixing your 240 DL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Purchased items when I started was a new coil, distributor. I noticed that the wiring on the driver side was badly damaged and exposed due to heat. I rebuilt the wiring to the headlight relay, the main power bar, I noticed that the 15+ / 1- wires were damaged those were rebuilt. Also, a
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: brown relay was on the side of the coil mounted to the frame of the car,
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Below are some diagrams I have located on this model here if this helps with what you are looking for.If you need more info let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qlx8x45j7th1tf3/v-11-10.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t32ftl3ptzl8rv3/vo-11-10.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete