Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Can't imagine this type forum exists...I drive a 2006 S60

Customer Question

Can't imagine this type forum exists...I drive a 2006 S60 AWD with 98,700 miles. Last week when hitting the gas to turn out into traffic, I heard/felt a snap in the rear end. The pavement was wet and I lost traction. I thought I ran over some rock, but could understand the traction loss and with RPM's reaching 3-4,000. This was on the way too work and it was dark. When I left for the day there was a loud clunking noise in the rear end. Figured I broke a gear, but couldn't understand how the transmission still worked so well. The clunking is most evident at slow speeds on turns, forward and reverse.
JA: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: No I have not.
JA: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I still have all the same symptoms. I lose traction easily, I know all 4 wheels spin since I tried it on my drive on dry asphalt. When I lose traction It's mostly if not always rear right from what I can tell in the car. I brought it to my regular shop and he said he didn't know if he could fix it. Said he'd have to do some research.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. without doing a visual inspection it can be a multitude of things. a broken coil spring, a broken lateral control arm, a broken stabilizer bar link, a bad differential bearing.... ill opt out and let another tech weigh in but theres not much to tell you except it needs to be inspected.