Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

04 cx70, cx70, most of the time, codes: ecm-9400 brake pedal

Customer Question

04 cx70
JA: What is the model of your '04 Volvo?
Customer: cx70
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: most of the time
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: codes: ecm-9400 brake pedal position sensor, ecm-4338 Gas Cap possible canister vent valve, ecm-400c Fuel tank system leak possible canister vent valve and or purge valve, ecm-990a idle air trim??? ecm-4801 cat efficiency below threshold
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?
Customer: no liquid fuel visable
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It looks like there are a few issues here,

Firs it looks to be that your brake pedal switch is sending a false signal or no signal at all needing replaced,this can be common with this switch needing replaced as I have had to replace several of these before

The gas cap and fuel tank leak is a code for vapor leak and not a fluid leak,this can be due to a gas cap that was left loose at one point needing tightened or installed correctly or that one of the vapor lines for the fuel tank vapor system or evap vapor components like a vent valve or canister are leaking.You will need to have an evap smoke test performed to locate and repair this leak issue here.Most shops or dealers have this tool to do this testing to locate and correct this leak.

The cat. below threshold indicates that the catalytic converter in the exhaust is failing needing replaced.Make sure you have no exhaust leaks or exhaust damage as this can cause this issue as well.If the exhaust is not leaking or damaged then the catalytic converter needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete