Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

It completely stopped yesterday as i was stopped at a red

Customer Question

it completely stopped yesterday as i was stopped at a red light and today i was told it needed a new engine. 2012 S60 with 102,000 miles. repair facility saying $4000 for engine and $3000 for labor
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: you lost me. the entire car froze
JA: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no took to a repair shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don't guess
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Did the engine start knocking? or the oil light come on? Any warning at all ? what did it do after you attempted to crank it back up? would it turn over or did it not start back at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There was no warning and after a few minutes I tried to start it and it just rattled. When a mechanic looked at it he noticed a shredded belt. He initially said that I was only a belt but then called back later and said that I needed a new engine. Just would like a second opinion.
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

OK, so the serpentine belt and timing belt broke. That is what the issue is, You can remove the cylinder head and repair the valves, you don't technically need a new engine, however, most shops will just put an engine in it, because they do not want to remove the cylinder head as on this vehicle it does take some special tools that most repair shops that don't specialize in volvo's do not have.

Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

When serpentine belt breaks, it wraps around the crankshaft and causes the timing belt to break as well, I would be surprised if it was just a serpentine belt.

Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

A very remote chance of digging the serpentine belt out of the crankshaft and pulleys and the valves being alright as this almost always breaks the timing belt. and when the timing belt breaks it bends the valves. did they say the valves were bent?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would I need a new engine if the valves were bent?
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Alright, did they say the timing belt was broken?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

OK, if the timing belt is broken, then the valves are bent. But, you do not have to have a new engine just to repair the bent valves. The cylinder head would have to come off the engine and the cylinder head would need to be rebuilt or replaced in order to repair the problem, Replacing the engine will effectively accomplish the same thing, however, that is a lot more work and expense that isn't needed in my opinion. You need to find an import shop that specializes in Volvo's, that will agree to just pull the cylinder head and repair the valves and do only the work that is needed in order to remedy the problem. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you. If I can't find that type of mechanic is 7000 too much fee a used engine and labor?
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

That seems somewhat high to me, but, What state are you in? it would be too much here in NC.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tx
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

If it was in NY or Seattle etc. I could see some difference there.

Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Engine on Ebay with 70K miles, 2500, 20 hours labor is about right for that job. Now they will certainly mark up the parts some for having to get them, although most salvage yards to offer deliver on that. Add antifreeze, oil, filter, shop expenses. I still think it should be 4-5K for engine replacement. Let me know if you have any further questions on it. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Absolutely, Thank you.