Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

I am thinking of purchasing a used 2008 Volvo XC90 with 70K

Customer Question

I am thinking of purchasing a used 2008 Volvo XC90 with 70K miles on it and the 3.2l engine. The price is right around $9K. I'm a "do-it-yourselfer" type and have maintained my cars for many years. I'm wondering if this is a car that would be a reliable car to purchase and I can do work myself on it. Does it have many quality problems that I'm going to run into?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

3.2 engine is pretty good engine, Do you know if it has had the all familiar cam bearings replaced yet however?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know but I will ask. Is that a problem area? What are the issues that you've seen with this car? What should I be on the lookout for when I drive it? Will it make it to 150,000 miles without too much costs?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

The problem was, there is an open area in the back of the cam bearing, where water can sit between the rear freeze plug and the block.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

The water would collect between the freeze plug and the block, rust the freeze plug out, then rust the cam bearing out, then you get this engine knock.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

WAIT never mind, I see it's a 3.2, not a v8. your good, disregard that . I'm sorry.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, I will ask about that. Once they are replaced, is the issue fixed for good? I live in Colorado so freezing is a common event. Any other things I should check while test driving?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

That vehicle is fairly solid, little lighter on the MPG than advertised. it's kind of a gas hog, suspension components, like sway bar links, and control arm bushings and ball joints tend to fail around that time. The engine is solid provided it has had the oil changes regularly. front brakes tend to last 30-40K. Rear brakes a little longer.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

I see you have the 3.2 engine, the 4.4 v8 was the issue on that problem I first stated, if you have 3.2 engine, you don't have to worry about that problem with the rear freeze plug.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 month ago.

You have verifiable service records? They are solid cars, provided they have been maintained of course. How many miles are on it roughly?