Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

02 volvo v70x xc will not turn,i have a ussed ignition with

Customer Question

02 volvo v70x xc will not turn,i have a ussed ignition with keys .can i install it .has same nos on casing
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: no wheel iis locked. key opens doors fine
JA: Are you fixing your V70 XC yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. removed ignition popped lock cap key turns removed cable from ingituon canmanually tame it out park
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have purchased an used ignition cylinder with keys has same nos on casing. if i nstall the ignitin cylinder with key ill it start
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help you with your question today. Afterwards, please select a rating for my service at the top of your screen. Selecting a rating is the only way I am compensated for my time here. It does not cost anything additional and you can follow up at any time.

If you install a used column lock, the car will not start because the keys are not programmed to your car. You will need to order a new column lock from the dealer, which runs about $300. It comes built for your existing keys- no programming is necessary.

Alternatively, you can tow it to a dealership and have them try to program the keys for the used column lock to your car. However, I have not personally tried to reprogram used keys, so I am not sure if this will work. Given the cost of a tow, plus programming and software, it would be easier (and likely about the same price) to install a new part.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Andy replied 1 month ago.

Hi Gary,

I see you have reviewed the information but have not selected a rating. Did you need any further assistance?