Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I have a 2008 8 c70 with 67000 miles. I drives beautifully

Customer Question

I have a 2008 8 c70 with 67000 miles. I drives beautifully except that when I come to a stop after driving for a while, I hear a scraping or "crunching" sound in the front end. Sometimes it happens when I slow down. It is worse in the rain and the day after it rains.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Periodically over the past year. Some times I won't hear it for a while
JA: Are you fixing your C70 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My mechanic can't explain it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you

Do you drive this vehicle often? Is it a daily driver?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not every day. I have another car

Ok, and this is a new problem that you have not experienced before, correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Does this noise seem to correspond to the speed at which you are slowing? In other words, does it get slower as your speed decreases?

I'm sorry, I cannot take a call at the moment.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The noise occurs mostly as I come to a stop. Sometimes it occurs as I am slowing down

are you able to determine if it is coming fromt he front or the back of the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The front

Ok, thank you. I am sorry to have to ask you so many questions, but noises are probably the most difficult thing to assess over the computer:)

Do you happen to have a recording of this noise?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That is ok. If you can point me in the right direction it is worth it

I gotcha...I would suggest that you start with checking the brakes...this sounds like a brake noise. The only draw back to that is that the noise is not only when braking, indicating that it also could be in the wheel bearing. The best way to check the brakes are to simply disassemble them. A wheel bearing can be checked most effectively by lifting the wheel off the ground, spinning it by hand, and feeling the spring above the wheel while it is spinning for a "gravely" noise (rumble or vibration). You can compare both sides to one another and if one feels more rough than the other then you have likely found your problem. If when inspecting the brakes you find any kind of blue or hot spots on the rotors, or any spots that look to be anything less than smooth, you have likely got a noise from the rotors. I hope this info helps!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did you just send me a response?

I did a little while ago...did you not get it?

I will send it again:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Joshua was very responsive. I will bring this info to my mechamic and get back to

That's wonderful! I hope you get it figured out promptly and affordably!

I also want to remind you to please take a moment and rate my service today using the star rating system above this message box

Hi, this is Josh checking in again to make sure that you don't have any further questions and to remind you to please rate my service.

Hi, this is Josh checking in to remind you to please take a moment and rate my answer. Thanks!

Hi, this is Josh checking in. I noticed that you have not yet rated my answer and want to make sure that if this is because you still need help that you let me know how I can help! If you are satisfied with my service, however, please take a moment to rate me using the star system above; this is the only way that I am compensated for my work and time. Thank You.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Joshua was vet helpful. My next assignment is to find a mechanics to do the work.

What area do you live in? I may be able to help recommend a mechanic in your area

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I live in Staten Island

I am unfortunately not familiar with your area, but I do have a suggestion. The best way to have a repair of this nature performed is to do it a "chain" garage. By this, I mean a shop that has at least 5 locations, preferably more and in different states. The reason for this is because they are more likely to provide excellent service and also to provide a better and more comprehensive warranty. There are usually better technicians at these large chain stores due to their recruiting power as compared to smaller operations and there is someone above the store manager to hold him accountable for any mistakes that could potentially be made. I hope this answer helps!

*please remember to take a moment and click one of the stars above this message board to rate my service!

Hi, this is Josh checking in to see if you had any further questions. Let me know if I can help!

hi, I wanted to remind you to please take a second and click on one of the stars above to rate my service. Thanks so much!