sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I shut off the engine when I got home and the fan is still

Customer Question

I shut off the engine when I got home and the fan is still running 45 minutes later. I don't know how to get it to stop
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: @61K
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2011 XC60
JA: Are you fixing your XC60 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I know nothing about fixing a volvo, I always take it in for service. I haven't done anything. Looked at the diagram to possibly pull the fuse for the fan but the picture in my manual doesn't match what I see on the car
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming it's the cooling fan that continued to run. If so then you almost surely have a bad fan control module. This is essentially a solid state relay that powers the fan variably to control the speed. It will take some electrical testing to know for sure but odds are the controller will need to be replaced.

In the mean time you can either disconnect the battery or remove fuse F43 in the box under the hood on the left side.