Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2 Volvos in driveway got wet from Hurricane ~ water in the

Customer Question

2 Volvos in driveway got wet from Hurricane Matthew ~ water in the floor pans - but now neither will crank ~ as if the battery was "disconnected" - could the small amount of water on the floor be prohibiting the dash light s from coming on ?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 11 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
  • Year models of the vehicles?
  • It is possible this water has corroded wiring and connections. Can you do electrical diag?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 10 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Chris, is there a way to move the electric front seats on the 1998 V-90? I now have power to the dash & accessories, but need to pull up the carpet to dry the floor pans. The driver seat moves about 2 inches - the passenger seat does not respond to the control switch.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 9 days ago.

The easiest way to move a non operating seat is to unbolt it from the floor, tilt it back then unplug everything under it. If you would rather jump wiring to manually command it from under the seat, let me know.

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Chris,Because the Left & Right seat won't move I CANNOT unbolt it - send me the directions to wire it manuallyJohn

Which seat are you wanting to work on the wiring and do you have memory seats?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Chris,Both seats need to be unbolted because the carpet and pad is wet underneath - YES ! memory seats.John

Here are the wire diagrams.

You need to unplug the horizontal front back motor and apply power and ground to it on the blue purple wire, its the same color for both seats. If the seat moves the wrong way then reverse the wires.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Chris, Not sure what I need to unplug? and how do I apply power ? ( battery charger?? or run a hot wire from the car battery?)any chance I might fry something? am I applying (+) to the purple wire? if so - what am I grounding ?<black wire?>How do I identify the plug/motor? can it be reach front the front of the seat or rear of the seat ? things look pretty tight under there?Need specific instructions to proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 8 days ago.

You will unplug the motor under the seat that moves the seat forwards and backwards then run jumper cables from your battery to 2 pieces of bare ended wire so you can apply power and ground to the motor.

Power on the blue

Ground on the purple

Do this at the connector on the motor where those 2 wire colors connect.

It is going to be near impossible to do this with the seat bolted to the floor. You will be working with a flashlight and magnet.

The motor with these wire colors is the correct motor.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Chris,If this is "near impossible" then please provide me with a solution that is "likely / possible" . . .mine is not the first Volvo to have electric seats that cannot move . . .I looked under the seat(s) . . . I see a lot of cables and not many wires or plugs - can you help me identify what it is I need to "unplug" and "where" ??????????????I cannot distinguish the the plug at the motor ? do you have pictures? is it best accessed from front of seat or rear of seat? Does the plug ONLY contain 2 wires?John

The drivers side has 5 wires on this motor and the passenger side has 2 wires.

I do not understand why your not able to unscrew the bolts holding the seat frame to the floor so you can remove or tilt the seats back.

Near impossible meaning your doing this with the seat still bolted down, I doubt I could even get under there to do electrical work.

Do these diagrams help?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Chris,I can unbolt the two front bolts that hold the seat frame - but because the seat has stopped in the rear position I cannot even see or touch the two rear bolts ~ there in lies the problem! How can I get access to the rear bolts?john
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 7 days ago.

Do you know someone more limber and with smaller hands to reach in under there from the rear?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Chris - how would a body shop or dealer remove this seat ? I saw the wire diagrams and the generic seat configuration - but an actual photo with the area that contains the electrical plug would be very helpful.Thanks!John
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 days ago.

Repair guides do not have live photos. I would need the vehicle or find one on youtube to get an actual photo.

A shop would remove the 4 bolts holding the seat to the floor.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Chris,I am in Texas all this week visiting and won't return to N Carolina and my Volvo until 30 Oct. I still need to move the electric seat far enough to reach & remove the bolts that hold the rear of the seat.John
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 days ago.

Sorry but this post timed out and closed on the 20th because it was not rated in the first 7 days. Sorry I was not able to get you fixed up.