Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Bought a used s40, and the key worked (unlock,lock,starts

Customer Question

bought a used s40, and the key worked (unlock,lock,starts car) now it doesnt work (won't unlock, lock, start car) all i did was haul it home on a trailer
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: new battery, no connection problems. tried disconnecting and reconnecting with no change did not try shorting pos - neg to attempt to clear codes no information on any errors from the dash
JA: What year is your S40?
Customer: 2005 2.4L
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not much really next thing is short the battery connections
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
car was on the trailer, and the remote would not unlock the door. I used the key in the fob to unlock the door. Got in, put the key back in the fob, but the fob in the dash and turned to crank. I heard a sound like a fuel pump (pumping up the injection pressure), and the wipers immediately started running. The headlights come on, but when i turn the key past III to crank, there is no sound, and everything goes dark until I release the key (back to III)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the red light on the dash is blinking. does this mean the car alarm is activated? There is no audible alarm, but nothing works either. I figured out on the key fob that the yellow button is the light, lock turns off the light, unlock turns on the light. These functions work on the fob, but apparently, the red triangle (assuming that is the car alarm) appears not to do anything.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have no owner manual with the car.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 7 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If there are any other details I can provide, let me know. I am available and will be online between 8:00 and 10:00 PM CDT
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 days ago.

Can you check the voltage on the battery cables while trying to start to see if they are maintaining and showing around 12.6 volts. Since everything goes dead when trying to start this sounds more like a voltage issue than a theft system issue.

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Where is the starter relay?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Uh, on almost any vehicle, it works that way to supply the starter with all available amperage
Please dont waste my time