Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

Yesterday afternoon when I came in from work my wife told me

Customer Question

Yesterday afternoon when I came in from work my wife told me that her 2002 Volvo was showing that the battery was not charging. She took me for a test drive and on a short drive the ABS failure light came on, the anti-skid light came on the car started loosing all power and died. When we tried to restart it the battery only made a clicking sound as if the battery was almost dead. I am thinking it is either the battery or the alternator. We had to tow it home and I took the battery out. She took it to Auto Zone today. They told her it was showing 12.7 volts and should start the car but it wasn't doing anything.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: Just the ABS Light, the car completely lost power and died.
JA: What is the model of your '02 Volvo?
Customer: S60
JA: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I work all day so I haven't done anything other than have her take the battery and have it tested.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything. The ABS light and the anti-skid light were all that had came on when it started losing power and died. After that the battery only made a clicking sound.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.

Hi im kevin my assumption is that alternator isnt charging and although battery is showing voltage if put under load will drop very quickly .i would first fully charge battery .then you need to start car and check charging voltage at battery with a voltmeter