Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop...25yrs

Volvo S60 is stuck in park. Turning wheel does not help. Key

Customer Question

Volvo S60 is stuck in park. Turning wheel does not help. Key is not stuck. Tail lights work. I did not get a
booklet with the car. My 1991 Volvo has a quick release. You stick you finger in the space, push the little button and
the car goes out of park and works. I suspect there is such a quick release here on the 1990 S60 since it seems to be a
common Volvo problem. I paid my $5.00 already...told Id have an answer in 5 minutes. I am homeless and need this car to work. Any help?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 13 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok. Do you know the answer to this question?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm just waiting for an answer.

Does your shifter look like this?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Id pay more if I could. I am homeless and broke...if you can't answer...please let me know.
No the picture is not accurate. Mine is a 2009...much more simple. If you don't know the answer, just
please tell me....I am stuck right now and have to move my car. I can't send more money rifht now.

I'm sorry. you had 1990 in the description. Give me a moment

I don't need you to send more money. What about this one? there are several options. If this is not yours, please take a picture and upload it and I will further assist you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My phone is not working right. I could get the answer on the internet right now??? Can we do that?Photo not correct. The shift override button is on the left of shifter. Only button there. Does nothing.
Isn't there a special release on this model like the others have? Seems to be a common problem with
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm sorry. I can't call you or pay more now. Later I could.

If the shift override button is not operable, you will need to pop the cover off and physically access the release mechanism from the inside. This is not difficult to do and the cover should pop off with a pry tool (knife, screw driver, etc...)

Do you think this is something you would be able to do?

If the system is asking you to make a phone call, it is not coming from me, by the way. Sometimes it will ask you to do that and it is not under my control. This is not something that would require that

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm Sorry Joshus, the bitch is I'm disabled, hard to walk far. I came 2 blocks to the Library to use computer because my
phone is not working right. If I walk the two blocks back to the car, then I have to walk 2 blocks back here and then 2 blocks back to my car. Those are formidable obstacles for me. So., I appreciate your help. I will try a screwdriver, not quite sure where I would lift the cover....hate to damage it, it is not my car. There is a slight slit on the little piece above where the shifter is. Perhaps its in there??? There's not much room to get to it, because the shifter won't move. I hate being stuck in so many ways. I appreciate your help.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I guess Ill walk back there and try that.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I might not walk back to this library, and doubt I could get back to this site and you anyway, right?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry I gave you the wrong date of the car I'm in now. My Volvo is 1991 240....great car...but was totaled. This is a 2009 S60 loaner which I don't want to damage. Thank you for your help. Jenna
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you Joshua. I appreciate your info. It might help but Im having a separate crisi with my ins mot wanting to repair my car....and Right now Ionly have a car to live in...nothings easy. I do appreciate your help
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 13 days ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

i would think if the override doesnt work,your problem is the interlock solenoid and it willneed to be replaced

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help