Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech

Volvo 2000 model, code 1670 I have no idea what this code

Customer Question

Volvo 2000 model, code 1670 I have no idea what this code means. Help
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 16 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 16 days ago.

Are you having a starting and or stalling concern?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No, I connected innova 3040 code reader and p1670 appeare, I look it up it say immobilizer control module communication error/code error. However car runs fine. I never drove or owned a volvo before it my first time. I notice that when first start in the morning I don't have higher idle to warm up also the in the beginning of driving it studders.
Expert:  Ron replied 16 days ago.

Your right about the code meaning and if you are not having any starting and or stalling issues then it may just be a old stored fault code. History has shown that ECM-720A (P1670) can be falsely set when the engine dies, or doesn't start which may have been an issue before you got the car. I would clear the code and see if anything reset. You can clear the code with your scan tool or also by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes. There is also a service bulletin released by Volvo calling for replacing the antenna ring for the keys if this code returns. Lets clear it first and see if any thing returns. See the bulletin as well in the ink below for reference if needed.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
This John with volvo S70 model 2000. I have a question would the car pass inspection (smog), with the code 1670. I tried erasing with the scanner tool also disconnected neg. of battery, after a while came back .
Expert:  Ron replied 14 days ago.

As long as the system is showing a fault code its not going to pass inspection. If the code returns after resetting then that means there is a problem and needs to be addressed.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I was told to drive the vechicle on the freeway for about 20 minutes, cause probably I'd erase the the code or just to reboot the computer unit. I had a presmog inspection yesterday. How would you sir, reboot the computer without driving a distances to reset. I think volvo are different then Japanese cars
Expert:  Ron replied 14 days ago.

You can reboot it by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes but if the problem is still there then the code will reset until its addressed and repaired.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I would like to know about the idle when first start, idle usually idle suppose to at a higher idle right. But it seem like normal idle below 1000 rpm so do u think it's the thermostat being open
Expert:  Ron replied 13 days ago.

In most cases if the thermostat is sticking open the computer will set a fault code for that. If you not getting any cooling system codes its not likely. As for the idle concern, you may want to have a look at the throttle body and see if there is any sludge build up and if so give it a good cleaning and see if that will help.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I did the with throttle body cleaner. Would like to talk in person? Having problem texting had surgery on my arm.
Expert:  Ron replied 13 days ago.

A phone call will cost you $26.00 .

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I've been trying to request. But system failed, not because I don't have money. Any other way?
Expert:  Ron replied 13 days ago.

I do not know of any other way, it has to run through there system.