Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Is there a link to video or images on how to replace the

Good morning!
Is there a link to video or images on how to replace the antenna ring on a 2006 Volvo s40.
Thank you
Cristina
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need specific step by step instructions and location
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This the ignition antenna ring btw

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today. That year does not use an antenna ring like on some other model Volvo's. The key is read by the ignition switch, which is called the Start Control Unit. It then communicates with the Steering Column Lock to make sure the key is programmed to the car and if so, allows the car to start. I will upload the instructions for the SCU, as that does not require programming when replaced. However, you may have a problem with the key, in which case you'll need a dealership because it needs to be programmed to the car.

Click here for the procedures to access the SCU. There is no procedure for the center vent, but it just pulls straight out. Some force is required.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please select a rating for my service at the top of your screen. This does not close the question or change the amount charged. It simply allows a small portion of the charge to be shared with me for my time. You can always follow up at any time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Andy, thank you for your response....
The car has given me less trouble since I put a new battery on the key, however it continues.... This morning it would not start and after tapping the key (key inserted on ignition) it did...
Are you saying I may have a problem with the key after I replace the SCU? Or do you think my problem is the key itself and not the SCU?
There is no Volvo dealership in Laredo; could I just sent the key or do they also need the car?

The problem could be the SCU or the key. Unfortunately, there is no way to test without having the car hooked up to a dealer level scanner. If there are any repair shops that specialize in Volvo, they might have the equipment. It can see if a valid key is being read by the SCU or if the SCU is not registering proper key position.

After replacing the SCU, there is no programming needed. So replacing it to see if it helps might be your best option. I will say that the SCU is a common failure on that car.

If the problem persists, a new key would need to be programmed, which requires the same equipment and the car must be present.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Got it...
Do you know the cost for the SCU?
I also have a spare key, blade and case, which opens the car, but won't start it, and the buttons don't work... It came with the car when it was sold to us. I guess it needs to be programmed?
Only dealerships can do this?

The SCU is about $200 US. But prices can vary.

If your spare key does not work and it has a good battery, it cannot be reprogrammed.

Only dealerships or shops that have the dealer equipment with a subscription to allow software downloads are able to program keys.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Andy the link you sent has 5 files in there and is not step by step procedure.... I have trouble understanding what I'm supposed to do

Volvo does not arrange their instructions as step by step. They use links to other parts that need to be removed for access. SCU is the main file. As you read through, you'll see at the top it says you have to remove the driver's side register (which is the center vent that just pulls straight out). Then remove the instrument panel lower (which is a separate file that illustrates how to remove the lower instrument panel). Then you remove the audio player. The audio player file shows this. At the top of the audio player file, you'll notice you need to remove the center console, for which there is another file. The 12V socket just pulls straight up.

Then you can remove the instrument panel, which is another file. Then you can access the screws for the SCU as illustrated

I know it's complicated, but that's right out of the factory service manual. Basically, the order will be center vent, lower instrument panel, 12v socket, center console, audio player, instrument panel, SCU

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess it helps if you number the files in order.... Still not very specific.... I'll take a look at them tonight
Thanks

I have numbered them and re-uploaded them. Click here for the numbered version

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please remember to select a rating at the top of your screen when you have a chance. Thank you!

Did you have a chance to look at the new documents?

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please remember to select a rating at the top of your screen when you have a chance. Thank you!