Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

My clutch pedal has a lot of free play and doesn't return to

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my clutch pedal has a lot of free play and doesn't return to it's full height It rests about an inch lower than you can pull it up with your foot. Gear changes are fine however
JA: The Volvo Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Not at all, the only issue is not returning to full height, but it still sits high enough to disengage completely
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2006 S40 T5
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If possible yes, I haven't tried anything so far. Still trying to see how to diagnose the issue
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all really, thank you
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 18 days ago.

this sounds like either the clutch pedal is cracked / semi broken or there's a fault with the master cylinder at the top of the pedal

I'd start by checking over the pedal and linkage for signs of breaking / bent parts and if that's OK then bleed the clutch at the slave end so to completely flush the old fluid out and replace with fresh

if this doesn't help then I'd say the clutch master cylinder will need to be rebuilt or replaced with new