Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

My 2000 S80 Volvo has been making a vibrating noise from the

Customer Question

My 2000 S80 Volvo has been making a vibrating noise from the engine for the past 3 months. The throttle body has been checked and found to be alright. the Mass Airflow meter was said to be defective and was changed. Although there is some improvement the situation persists. I might be useful to note that the lights on the dashboard also blinks with the same rhythm of the vibration noise and the noise seem to get worse whenever the air condition is turned on/up. Thanks for your expert advice. E.L.F.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I do not think the mechanics checked them. I will suggest that they be checked.
JA: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am not fixing it myself. As already stated the Mass Airflow Meter has been replaced with a new one.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 1. The alarm siren has not worked for over a year now.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

can you tell me what engine size and fuel type this is please?

as it sounds like it may be misfiring on 1 cylinder

also how many miles are on the car and when was it last serviced

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My car has a 6 cylinder engine and uses gasoline. It was serviced within the last 2 months as this was viewed as necessary
in addressing the problem. The mileage is about 120000. I will get the exact figure and let you have the information soon.What is your assessment now?Eva
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

hello Eva

Ok thanks for the extra info

1st replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

You can also try spraying some water on the coil pack with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.

I'd check the condition of the injector plugs / connections as this could be a lean misfire if an injector isn't firing properly - the best way to check this is with a 'noid' light

http://www.noidlight.com/

Then check all the connections to the engine sensors one at a time, remove each one and examine for signs of corrosion or damage and a squirt of contact cleaner ( not WD40) will also help.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you