Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

Just took an 05 S-40 in for dead battery. Was told battery

Customer Question

Hi Andy,
Just took an 05 S-40 in for dead battery. Was told battery needs to be replaced. Alternator needs to be replaced. Belt and tensioners need to be replaced. Cost...$2,200.00 alternator is $1,300 by itself. Looked up all OEM Alternators. cannot find anything above $700 Seems like a ripoff
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
06 not 05 Volvo S-40
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Aw yes padding the price of parts is a common hidden rip . If you done that research and good for you that you did then I would take those figures to the service manager and or owner of that business and present those figures to them. If you have a negative response then you inform them it gives you no other choice then taking it to the BBB, most businesses will settle before that. I have a link to a sight that has a booklet you may like and tell freinds about to deal with this very issue and how to find and work with a reputable shop.I will include the link. Hope this helps you out and always get a second opinion and quote when your dealing with expensive repairs. cheers.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Peter. Thanks for the info. I know that padding is part of it. I have turned a few wrenches over the years. My question really is whether an alternator, (I have to assume new OEM not re-manufactured or AC-Delco) is really $1,300 alone. No labor factored in.
Is that even close?

Was this purchased from a dealer or general repair shop? It's hard for me to tell you that because I live up here in Canada and prices are quite different. But what I would do is phone into the parts department at a dealer and just ask for a price on that particular alternator they won't know who is calling and give you the right price . I know for a fact even up here prices on starters and alternators from a dealer are ridiculous as I worked for them many years.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It's from a dealer. Only one in area. I actually purchased the car there. I cannot wrap my head around $1,300 for a spindle, wound copper wire and a casing...I will take your advice and place a call to parts for the alternator and see what I get.Thanks.

CHEERS ***** ***** LUCK.