Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

After the car sits for a few hours, if I back out, car makes

Customer Question

after the car sits for a few hours, if I back out , car makes a very loud clunking noise from the right rear when not applying the brake. Does not occur after the car has been driven all day in and out of parking spots. Only after sitting for several hours.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: about 6 months. Near Back tire. I have had it looked at but I can recreate noise at he shop because car hasnt been sitting for awhile.
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2008 XC90
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, tried replacing shocks
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Hi im kevin sre you using parking brake when parked up ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
parking brake needed to be fixed (corrision) and I didnt want to fix it, so they removed it all together.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ok that rules that out so you just get one knock when you pull away or over bumps ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sometimes two or three knock sounds, just in reverse, never over bumps
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

Ok so only happens when reversing .does it matter if your turning or going straight ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
most of the time and am slightly turning, but not sharp.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

To be honest there isnt alot this could be its a strange one and isnt a common complaint or a common issue .the fact it only happens when pulling away is odd and would most likely point to a bad cv on that side but you would normally get that in forward also .its unlikely to be suspension related either as you would expect this noise to occur when moving .i suspect most likely cause is the cv

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what is a bad CV?
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 months ago.

On your drivetrain you have something called a drive shaft and at either end it has a constant valocity joint .these allow drive to the wheels and still allow movement up and down on suspension .these joints are packed with greece and have a rubber boot around them to keep greece in and dirt out .ober time the greece can break down and wear in joint can occur normally resulting in a knocking noise when pulling away