sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I had to jump start to auto zone. They say battery was fine

Customer Question

I had to jump start to auto zone. They say battery was fine after testing it. Found out I needed oil bad. Bought 6 quarts to fill and turned engine on and now jumping pretty bad as if about to shut off. Dash lights now illuminated as well.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I'll check now but what's making it jump like that. Wasn't doing it before. When I shift to reverse, drive and back to park, it feels as if it's jumping heard and make real loud revving noise.
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: S80 yr 2000
JA: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only jumped the car to take me to auto zone. Found out needed oil. Put 6 quarts in and that a as far as I've got to
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The lights on the a.c. and fan is still lot where all other lights are shut off
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few things going on but I'm wondering if it's now running poorly because the oil was overfilled and it is being sucked into the intake. If it was actually six quarts low then the oil light would have been on, the engine would most likely have been knocking. Have you checked the oil level with the dipstick since the oil was added?